Sufganiyot Made Easy!
Traditional Hanukkah Jelly Donuts
- 1 ball of store-bought pizza dough
- 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- Allow your dough to warm up on the counter for 30 mins to an hour.
- Roll out the dough to about 1/4 inch thick and use round cookie cutter to cup out circles of dough.
- While dough rests, put sugar into a shallow bowl.
- Scoop 1/2 cup of raspberry jam into the corner of a large plastic bag and snip off a small portion of the corner to make a pastry bag.
- Pour about 2 inches of oil into a walled frying pan. Warm the oil to about 350 degrees. I recommend using a candy thermometer.
- Place 2 or 3 rounds of dough into the pan at a time. Flip once the bottom side is lightly brown. Be careful not to over cook.
- When both sides are cooked, place onto paper towels, then toss in the granulated sugar.
- Using a long skewer, make a whole in one side of the donut and wiggle it around to create a cavity inside.
- Squeeze the raspberry jam into the whole in the donut. Don’t be scared to put to much in. Remember the dough is not sweet, so the filling can me.
- Eat them! Just like everything fried, they’re better hot.