A classic upside-down cake with a Rosh Hashanah twist. This recipe uses a boxed cake and of course apples and honey for the holiday.
- 1 large apple or 2 smaller apples
- 2 Tbs butter (or butter substitute)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbs. honey
- 1 box of yellow cake mix
- Ingredients to make cake mix based on box instructions (probably 1/3 cup veg. oil and 3 eggs)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel and slice the apple into thin slices.
- Place the butter into your pan and place pan into the oven, just long enough to melt the butter.
- Once butter is melted, add brown sugar and honey into the pan and stir.
- Place sliced apples into the bottom of the pan. Make sure to push them into the sugar mixture.
- Make cake mix according to instructions.
- Pour half the cake mix into the 8 inch round pan.
- Bake according to box instructions.
- When it is done, immediately place your serving dish upside down over pan then flip it over. Leave pan over cake a few minutes, so the sweet stuff can drizzle over cake, then remove pan.
This recipe is for one 8-inch round pan. Since you’re only using half of the cake mix, you can absolutely double the rest of the recipe for a 9×13 pan size with no problem.
Keywords: Rosh Hashanah, Apple Cake