This recipe for Honey Cake Mini-Muffins is the perfect breakfast or snack to get you in the Rosh Hashanah spirit. Honey cake is the traditional baked good for the Jewish new year. For other twists on Jewish holiday faves, check out my recipes for Apple Upside-Down Cake and Honey Cake Ice Cream.
I was surprised by the ingredients in traditional honey cake recipes,. Of course they have honey, but they also have a lot of spice and coffee or tea. I suppose this accounts for the dark color that they often have, but I don’t recall them tasting like coffee.
One of the advantages of using a mini-muffin tin is that you make a ton of muffins, and it also stops my kids from taking one bite and then leaving the rest. These muffins are great for a your kiddos, they freeze well, and would make a great little hostess gift.Print
These mini-muffins are a healthier, snackable twist on the Rosh Hashanah classic honey cake.
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour (or AP flour)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup honey
- ½ cup coffee (I use 3 tsp. decaf instant coffee & ½ cup water)
- 1 tbsp. coconut oil / vegetable oil
- 1 small diced apples (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease your mini-muffin tin.
- In a small bowl, mix flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon
- In a large bowl, whisk together: eggs, honey, coffee, and oil
- Mix the flour mixture into the wet ingredients
- Add small diced apples if preferred. Apples will come out firm, but tender.
- Fill mini-muffin tins to the top.
- Bake for 12-15 mins.
Pingback: Honey Cake Ice Cream – Everyday Jewish Mom on September 3, 2017
Pingback: Honey Cake Ice Cream for Rosh Hashanah - Everyday Jewish Mom on September 3, 2017